Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cooked Kale Salad

It's a rainy and blustery day today and when the weather gets this way all I want to do is stay inside and bake, snuggle under a blanket with a good book, light a fire, and relax.  My husband and I eat a lot of salads (no shock I know what else do you eat when you don't eat meat or dairy lol!)  But when the weather turns cold soups tend to take the place of a lot of our salad consumption.  One recipe I created last winter still is a big hit for us, as it combines the best of salad and warmth together. It's a cooked Kale salad and it is so delicious.
Ingredients:
- 1 Bunch Kale chopped (you can use any Kale I've made this with them all)
- 3 Carrots chopped
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
-1 lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
- Add onions carrots and garlic to pan with vegetable broth and cook on low till they are soft enough (I tend to like my veggies a little more crunchy so I don't cook a ton)
- Add in the pine nuts and zucchini and let them cook for a few minutes (again as soft or crunchy as you want)
- Add chopped Kale
- Juice lemon over the top of the Kale (if you don't like a lot of lemon flavor only add in a half a lemons worth of juice, but if you like the lemon flavor go for the entire lemon)
- Mix and take off the heat after just a couple minutes.  Your Kale will go mushy fast so watch this close.  
- Serve on a plate and add Salt and Pepper to taste, it usually doesn't need much if any!

The veggies within this salad can easily be exchanged for other veggies.  Some of my other favorites vegetables to add would be squash, eggplant, or green beans.   

Hope you love it, let me know what you think!

No comments :

Post a Comment