Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cacao No-Bake Cookies

If there is one thing my kids love it is chocolate chip cookies.  Don't get me wrong, I love them too but the amount of sugar and butter and flour in these cookies made me cringe each time I watched them consume another batch.

I recently have been on a Cacao kick, see my other post about delicious Cacao sauce.  As I was trying to come up with wonderful things to do with this sauce the No Bake Cookie recipe was invented and it is an instant success.  They aren't the prettiest cookie but the taste makes up for the look and there is no eggs, flour, or sugar in these cookies!


My kids said I never have to make chocolate chip cookies again!  The best part is the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of raw local organic honey which my daughter does not like, but she likes it in these cookies and magically (not magically - honey rocks) her allergies have completely disappeared since she started eating these cookies!  I also love that during these summer months I don't have to turn on my oven, just plop these cookies into the freezer and they are done!

As with all my recipes I always use organic, local and raw if the option is available.  I don't always list this but I highly recommend organic local and raw at all times!

Ingredients:
2 cups of oats
2 cups of granola (I use a pumpkin flax seed but any granola will do)
1 cup of cacao sauce (see my previous post for this recipe)
1/2 cup of peanut butter (or sunflower butter, almond butter, there are tons out there to choose from)
1/2 cup of local raw honey

Directions:
Mix everything together.  Depending on types of oats or granola you might need a little more cacao sauce.  When mixed everything should be well coated like the picture below -


Drop cookies onto cookie sheet covered with wax or parchment paper.  I have found that smaller cookies are best (it's a little easier to eat)  Place cookies into the freezer.  The cacao sauce is made with coconut oil which hardens when cold (it only takes about 10 minutes)

Feel free to adjust the amount of cacao, honey and nut butter to whatever your preference.  My son is allergic to peanut butter so I actually make him a batch with no nut butter at all just honey and cacao.  I've also made these with no honey just more nut butter and cacao.  There is no exact science to this recipe (my kind of recipe - I love just throwing stuff together!)  These no bakes are the perfect cool summer cookie!

Hope you enjoy let me know if you make them and how they turned out!

No comments :

Post a Comment