Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Bulk Cooking with Quinoa Part 2


Part 2 in my bulk cooking with quinoa is super simple, taco meat for tacos or nachos.  Just like yesterday's recipe I make this in bulk then I know I've got at least a months worth (meaning my kids eat tacos once a week) of meat frozen and ready to go.

I only use organic and homemade ingredients in all my cooking which can add up in price.  One of the reasons I love using quinoa in recipes like this is because it makes my organic meat (which is so expensive!) and makes it go much further, thus saving me money!  I am always excited when I can stretch my food budget with great recipes like the taco meat!

Since I homeschool my kids and we don't eat out having meals that are quick is super important.  I don't have time to spend an hour prepping lunch in the middle of the kids school day and since we do homeschool they don't have to eat a packed lunch (sandwich) every day.  Yippee!  Ben and I do not eat meat so this is a really simple taco meat for the kids - we usually have taco salad the day they eat tacos then we can all enjoy guacamole and salsa!  Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:

  • 4 cups of cooked quinoa 
  • 1 pound of organic grass fed ground beef
  • Whatever you use to season your taco meat.  I use a homemade salsa, I'll add that recipe on another post! (but you could buy a salsa to put in your meat.  Costco has a great organic salsa that I sometimes use)  You can use a taco packet of seasoning or whatever you like it best.  I'm simple with this stuff, you have to cook what you know your kids are going to like!
  • You could also add in onions and bell peppers chopped small if you want.  If I ate meat I would totally throw in some yummy peppers and onions too!
Directions:

  • Brown ground beaf (wow this is rocket science cooking here! lol - sorry did I mention I like simple cooking!)
  • After meat has cooked (and onions and peppers if your using them) add in quinoa and spices of your choice.  You might need a little water too, depending on what you are using to season your meat.  If you are just adding in a packet add some water if you use salsa it should be wet enough. 


  • Let it cook on low so the flavors really soak up in the quinoa.  Now I'll stick in a random picture of my ever present helper in the kitchen - Lucy.  She never leaves my side while I'm cooking in hopes of getting a treat!  She's so cute, my kitchen isn't complete without her!
  • And finally let your "meat" mixture cool, then put it in ziplock bags or Pyrex or whatever you use to freeze your foods in.  I freeze mine into small portions that will make 4 tacos so I don't have any leftovers that I find a month later moldy in the fridge (I always have the best intentions to use those leftovers but somehow they get pushed to the back of the fridge never to be found again until they look like a science experiment, I don't know how that happens!)

My batch made 6 servings this time - again I'm not one for measuring, so these things turn out a little different all the time.  It will still only last me a month as we will have company or cousins over and I'll need to use 2 of these for one meal.  

Tomorrow I'll post a recipe that Ben and I love to eat made again with the same 10 cups of quinoa.  See you tomorrow!


No comments :

Post a Comment