Sunday, October 6, 2013

Healthy Sunday Football Appetizers!

You know those appetizers that you can get that are little potatoes cut in half and they are loaded with cheese and bacon and sour cream and chives!  Delicious but so unhealthy and since I don't eat dairy products or meat anymore that pretty much eliminates everything except the potato and the chives - what fun is that!

Since football season is upon us and my husband is glued to the television on Sundays this leaves me a little more free time to play in the kitchen or take a nap on the couch next to him!  But in this recipe I decided to make a healthy version of those stuffed potatoes and this is what I came up with:


All I can say is YUM!  This was an instant hit in my home and left everyone cheering for more - okay in truth they were cheering for the football game that was on . . . but I can pretend it was for me right!?!  They did devour them in 5 minutes and were asking for more, so I'm thinking they were a hit.

Here are the ingredients:
Small potatoes (Russet or Red, Purple, or white potatoes)
Coconut oil
Sea Salt and Pepper
 * you will also need the ingredients from my guacamole recipe!

Cut your potatoes in half.  Stick them in a bowl and drizzle them with a little bit of coconut oil - you don't need a lot just enough to lightly cover them all.  Place them on a cookie sheet, flat side facing up then sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste.  Bake them in the oven at 400 degrees till you can stick a fork in them (usually takes about 45 minutes but it is going to totally depend on how thick and big your potatoes are)

While your potatoes are baking make up a batch of my guacamole (see my guacamole post), except don't mash up the avocados and tomatoes as much - leave them a little more chunky!

When your potatoes are done cooking let them cool off for a few minutes so you don't burn off your fingerprints!  Scoop out a chunk of the potato so your guacamole has a wonderful nest to sit happily in. (The potato you scoop out is delicious too - my daughter happily ate all of it, but I'm sure you could do something wonderful those scoops too!)  Move them all to a serving plate and devour!

Note: I did try making these once by boiling the potatoes first and then baking them - did not turn out nearly as good wouldn't recommend it!

Hope you enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment